Get cash back on your astronomy and other purchases: Ebates Coupons and Cash Back

Saturday, August 9, 2014

Moving a Dobsonian telescope

My Apertura AD10 Dobsonian telescope is pretty heavy and bulky.  The base is about 31 lbs and the OTA is about 35 lbs.  There's no way I could carry them together.  I've moved them from the garage to the back yard several times.  The process involved:

  1. Hugging the OTA and navigating through doors and hallways, setting it down on the carpet inside the back door.
  2. Go back to the garage and carry out the base.
  3. Go back to the garage and carry out the leveling base.
  4. Put the dob base on the leveling base.
  5. Carry out the OTA and put it on the dob base.
Not difficult, but it takes a few trips and there's always the danger of whacking the OTA, finder, or focuser on a wall or door frame.  I could carry it all down the side of the house instead of through, but I wouldn't have anywhere to set the OTA while I retrieved the rest of the parts, and it still would take multiple trips.

I read on the forums about using a hand cart to carry it all in one shot, so I thought I'd give it a try.  I picked up a Magna Cart folding hand truck.

I found mine at Sears, but I've also seen it at Costco, Walmart, and on Amazon.  The nice thing about this one is that it folds down into a nice compact package when not being used.


I used an inexpensive tie-down strap from Harbor Freight to secure the scope to the cart.  Slipping the strap under the altitude bearings prevents it from slipping off.  Without the leveling base, this would probably be all that's needed, but with the leveling base, I found the scope would tip back much further than the leveling base and I was worried about the scope's feet slipping out of the holes in the leveling base.

To remedy the problem, I built a bracket out of some scraps of 3/4" plywood.  Measure yours to make sure it will fit, but I used a piece that's 7"x14" and two pieces that are 3"x12".  The 7x14 piece is attached high enough that it clears the molded plastic of the cart.  I put some heavy duty self adhesive felt strips on all of the places where the bracket touches the dob base and where it leans on the cart, just for padding and protection.  The scope base still tips back a bit more than the leveling base, but not enough that I worry it will slip out.

This setup works really well.  I could easily roll it through the house, but I usually take it around the side of the house to the backyard.  Roll it out, unstrap it, and I'm ready to go.

2 comments:

  1. I stumbled on these additional plans after building your leveling base for a skywatcher 12” dob. I now plan to build the bracket mentioned in this post. I realize this is an old post, but I’m so glad you provided both sets of plans. Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete